Reflections on loving God, being Catholic, being a woman, being ill, loving life and anything else that comes to mind.

Friday, April 11, 2014

I Is For Isaiah

But Zion said, “The LORD has forsaken me, my Lord has forgotten me.” “Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should have no compassion on the son of her womb? Even these may forget, yet I will not forget you. Behold, I have graven you on the palms of my hands; your walls are continually before me. …Then you will know that I am the LORD; those who wait for me shall not be put to shame.” Can the prey be taken from the mighty, or the captives of a tyrant be rescued? Surely, thus says the LORD: “Even the captives of the mighty shall be taken, and the prey of the tyrant be rescued, for I will contend with those who contend with you, and I will save your children. I will make your oppressors eat their own flesh, and they shall be drunk with their own blood as with wine. Then all flesh shall know that I am the LORD your Savior, and your Redeemer, the Mighty One of Jacob.” (from Isaiah 49:14-26)

A series of silent sobs poured from my depths and gradually birthed sound, Huh! Huh! Huh! Huh! I took in a deep snuffly breath, Huh! Huh! Huh! Huh! The pitch rose, Hnhh! Hnhh! Hnhh! Hnhh!

Is it true? words finally came to mind, found their way out my lips. Are they really dead? Hnhh! Hnhh! Hnhh! Hnhh! sobs clicked in the back of my throat. All this time they’ve been dead?! I crumpled the papers in my hand. I saw myself ripping them to shreds. I might need this, some voice of reason whispered in my head and stayed my actions. And how will You make it right now? How will You set me free? What good has it been?! My thoughts reached a shrieking crescendo, Waiting and hoping! Another snuffly breath, Hnhh! Hnhh! Hnhh! All this time?!

No comments: