Reflections on loving God, being Catholic, being a woman, being ill, loving life and anything else that comes to mind.

Friday, April 11, 2014

E Is For Easter Dress

Albert! the woman studied a tag. Look at this! The man leaned against the wall, holding a bag, checking his watch every few minutes. I don’t want to spend all day shopping, he warned as he roused himself and moved towards her. You stay here, he shoved the bag into my hands. A whispered conversation followed. The woman’s face became red, excited. The man’s right shoulder twitched as he pumped his arm up and down, smacking one finger in his left palm. He threw up both hands, Do whatever you want! He stalked back to me and snatched the bag out of my hand. Come here, the woman face wore a big smile. What do you think of this? She held up a navy cotton dress with red polka dots and trim. It’s pretty! my voice held a rising note. Why is she asking me? I mutely inquired of my Friend. Let’s try this on you, she led me to an empty dressing room.

Kneeling at the bed, I buried my nose in the skirt. See? I raised my head. A new Easter dress! I sniffed the unwashed newness again. And new shoes! I held one black patent Mary Jane to my nose. I have a new Easter dress, God! I said aloud. Who are you talking to? Claire opened the door and looked around. God, my voice was small. You think you’re so special, don’t you? You’d better thank God you have that dress. She grabbed a lock of my hair. My mouth became a serious straight line. I held my head very still. My shoulders tensed. Claire released my hair and fingered the edge of the new dress. You should’ve worn my old dress from last year, her voice was low and rough; she wasn’t speaking to me. She looked at my face, You’d better take good care of this dress. I grabbed my Bible from the nightstand and propped myself on my elbows, leaning over the dress to protect it from her, and began to read softly to myself. One at a time, I knocked the new shoes under the bed skirt with my knee. Claire jerked open her desk drawers and slammed them shut. Finally, she stomped out of the room.

No comments: