Reflections on loving God, being Catholic, being a woman, being ill, loving life and anything else that comes to mind.

Friday, April 04, 2014

B Is For Bible

During April, many bloggers participate in the A to Z Blogging Challenge. This is my first year. I'll post twenty-six excerpts from Loved As If one for each letter of the alphabet, every day except Sunday.

The man called us into the living room: A family ought to read the Bible together every day. He read from a book. My ears perked up: What is this? I asked the Presence. When some of the children were told to read a verse from their books, I piped up, May I read? You haven’t learned to read yet, the woman gently responded. I can read. No you can’t, the man glowered at me. He waved his hand in the oldest boy’s direction: Charles, read. But I can read! I insisted. The man turned the pages of his book and pointed to the middle of the one, Read this. I walked towards the book, moved my face closer until the words became clear and said, Jesus wept. Read the next verse. I continued, Then said the Jews, Behold how he loved him! A huge grin cracked my face. I reseated myself and bounced in my chair as with open mouths and wide eyes, the man and the woman looked at each other.

After we each read, the man talked for a long, long time. The other children fell asleep. I looked over at the woman, she too was sleeping. A loud snore came from a corner. The man quickly removed his leather slipper and threw it at Eve: Wake up! he shouted. This is good for you! All of you! You ought to stay awake and listen! This is good for you! Startled snorts sounded through the room. I did not sleep. I wanted to know everything about God. After his talk, the man asked, Are there any questions? Why did Jesus weep? But I didn’t hear the answer. I continued to bounce in my seat: This is grand! My heart pounded. I hadn’t known there was such a big book about about the Presence. I hugged myself in delight, He knows You!

No comments: